Have you ever woke up in the morning and tried on everything in your closet just to find that certain items in your wardrobe do not fit or look like they used to 10 yrs ago?
I know I have.
I am notorious for cleaning out my closet and changing my style the older I get.
Don’t look at it as that we are getting older, look at it as though we are getting more fashion forward.
As we age, our style should enhance who we are not create an alternate persona. It’s time to stop shopping in the juniors department and Forever 21. There’s a reason the number 21 is in that name.
Embracing your age and the style that comes with it will turn back the clock and bring in the youthful side of you.
There are lots of trends that look great on women over 40. From smart and sophisticated work wear to casual embellished tops and cover ups to midi skirts with knee high boots, there’s something out there for everyone!
Fashion doesn’t have an age limit. There are trends that suit every woman at every age, and it’s all about how you wear it.
1) Look for shape enhancing details like cap sleeves, stretch in the right places, different trouser cuts, and built-in panels to make you look and feel great.
2) Don’t shy away from color, be confident and daring. Wear colors that compliment your skin tone and hair color.
Experiment and substitute colors like black for purple or deep berry tones for red.
3) Make sure that you are in control of your wardrobe. To get you through the season all you need are a few well chosen, great fitting choice staples.
Things like a pair of wide legged trousers, a glamorous top with some embellishment, and a classic shift dress, mixed and matched for different occasions.
4) Find items that are easy transitions and classic for example, a black dress, pants, blouse or skirt.
The older we get the harder it is to be motivated to shop or constantly update our styles. Classic pieces help with this often daunting task.
5) Accessories can really change up many styles in your wardrobe but, remember sometimes less is more.
Choose one statement piece of jewelry – necklace or earrings. Too many accessories can look too fussy and over the top.
Simplicity is the key to looking stylish and sophisticated.
6) You must always feel comfortable in what you are wearing. There’s nothing worse than constantly worrying about adjusting your clothes, or thinking “my shoes are hurting”.
This goes for anyone at any age.
7) Try something new and develop your own personal style.
Finding out what suits you and what works for your body shape involves a lot of trial and error, so don’t be scared to try different looks.
If you are worried about stepping out in a new style here is a tip, take a picture of yourself the night before and send it to a friend or two for their opinion.
8) Experiment with prints. Prints cut on the bias or diagonal are always great. Wear busier prints on more fluid garments and pair with a plain trouser, skirt or shirt to ensure they aren’t too over the top.
You want to still have fun with your style and prints are a great way to mix it up.
9) Have fun with pops of color! This goes for anyone.
If you really want to be bold then do a little color blocking. Color blocking is also great way to hide problem areas.